The enrolment process at Hastings Girls' High School is streamlined to support you and your daughter as she transitions into school.
We encourage new students and their whānau, to take a look at our curriculum and course selection information and then complete an enrolment form. If your daughter is entering as a Year 9, consider the opportunities of completing a scholarship application, attending our Open Evening and our Big Day Out.
We know starting a new school can be challenging, at Hastings Girls' High School we work to make this as easy as possible, and to ensure that your daughter has the best start.
Our wrap around transition plan starts on receipt of the enrolment form. You will be contacted shortly after we receive your application, to arrange an enrolment interview.
All students are encouraged to apply for enrolment regardless of their place of permanent residence. We are extremely hopeful that we will be able to accommodate all applicants.
- Hastings Girls’ High School is likely to have 85 out of zone places available.
- The ballot for out of zone students will take place on Wednesday 19 August 2020.
- All successful applicants will be notified by mail.
DATES TO REMEMBER
- Wednesday 5 August - Open Evening
- Friday 14 August at 4.00pm - Enrolments close.
- At the end of Term Three, all new 2021 HGHS Year 9's will be invited to our 'Big Day Out', at the beginning of Term Four.
HOME ZONE ENROLMENTS
All students who live within the HOME ZONE described below shall be entitled to enrol at Hastings Girls’ High School. The home zone’s boundaries are defined as the area bound by the following line:
- From Fernhill, following the Ngaruroro River to the Chesterhope Bridge
- South down Pakowhai Road (from Ngaruroro River to Karamu Stream), then following the Karamu Stream to where it intersects Karamu Road
- Karamu Road (south from Karamu Stream) into Karamu Road South to St Aubyn Street East • East down St Aubyn Street East to Windsor Avenue
- South in Windsor Avenue to Heretaunga Street East
- East down Havelock Road to St Georges Road
- South along St Georges Road South to Te Aute Road
- West into Te Aute Road continuing to State Highway 2 at Paki Paki
- State Highway 2 from Paki Paki to Opapa including side roads as follows: Burma Road, Colin White Road, Poukawa Road, Douglas Road, Te Mahanga Road, Cohrs Road, Malcolm Road, Te Mahanga Settlement Road, Glenogle Road and Horonui Road
- Paki Paki township including Turamoe Road, Te Aute Road to Mutiny Road corner, Mutiny Road (from Te Aute Road to Stock Road) and Stock Road (from State Highway 2 to Mutiny Road)
- Following Paki Paki Road North, continuing into Maraekakaho Road
- West into York Road
- North on to the Expressway
- From the Expressway into Omahu Road to the Ngaruroro Bridge on SH50 at Fernhill. Proof of residence within the home zone may be required.
OUT OF ZONE ENROLMENTS
- This priority category is not applicable at this school, because the school does not run a special programme approved by the Secretary.
- Given to any applicant who is the sibling of a current student of the school.
- Given to any student who is the sibling of a former student of the school.
- Given to any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school.
- Given to any applicant who is either a child of an employee of the Board of the school or a child of a member of the Board of the school.
- Given to all other applicants.
Applicants seeking second or third priority status may be required to give proof of a sibling relationship.
If there are more applicants in the first, second, third, fourth or fifth priority groups than there are places available, selection within the priority group will be by ballot conducted in accordance with instructions issued by the Secretary under Section 11 G(1) of the Education Act 1989.
2021 YEAR 9 SCHOLARSHIPS - Now Closed
Five Chromebook scholarships available
The Catherine Bentley Future Focussed Scholarship is open to any girl wanting to attend Hastings Girls' High School. Shortlisted applicants may be asked to attend a brief interview. The successful candidates will be awarded a Chromebook.
Two $200 scholarships available
The Geraldine Travers Music Scholarship is open to any girl wanting to have private music tuition at Hastings Girls' High School. Each scholarship covers the cost of one year’s tuition fees. Shortlisted applicants may be asked to attend an interview or audition.
Two $500 scholarships available
The Jean Kelt Sports Scholarship is open to any girl passionate about and skilled, in one or more sporting code. Shortlisted applicants will be asked to attend a brief interview. The successful candidates will be awarded $500 which can be used to support their sporting endeavours during their time at Hastings Girls' High School.
One $1000 and two x $500 scholarships available
The Constance Miller Academic Scholarship is open to any girl wanting to further their education at Hastings Girls' High School. Shortlisted applicants may be asked to attend a brief interview with the Principal. The successful candidates will be awarded up to a maximum of $1000.
Two $250 scholarships available
The Jill Davidson Performing Arts Scholarship is open to any girl passionate about and or skilled, in one or more areas of the performing arts. Shortlisted applicants may be asked to attend a brief interview or audition. The successful candidates will be awarded $250 which can be used to support their education at Hastings Girls' High School.